Subject: Breaking the font barrier
From: "John F. Rodgers" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 02:29:49 -0800

Hello Everyone,

Once again I turn to the amazing AMOS list for help...

I am having a bit of a problem with the Set Font command (Using AMOS Pro
2.00).  It doesn't seem to work after 2,541 loops.  When Set Font number
2,542 is attempted, I get a visit from the Guru.  Sometimes the number
of successful Set Fonts is less, but never more.

I reduced the number of different fonts actually set until I finally
just set the same font over and over (font 1), and still the thing
crashes on attempt number 2,542.

I have tried the Trap Reserve As Data 10,1000000000 trick to flush the
fonts out of memory, but this has no effect, whether I do it every 100
Set Fonts or after *every* Set Font.  The Guru still visits, and he is
never late...

I have tried adding a Get Disc Fonts after every 1024 Set Font commands,
but this also is useless.  2,400 or 2,500 Set Fonts is as far as it will
go before crashing.  I have run out of ideas.

Is this a problem with AMOS - stack, buffers, pointers, garbage
collection routines - or is it an Amiga Dos problem?  I used to have
AmigaE installed, but I don't right now, otherwise I would try it with E
to see if it is just an AMOS problem.

And for the curious among you, I'm not just doing weird things with
AMOS!  I'm working on a titling program which will have to run
unattended 7 days a week, or at least for 24 hours between Gurus and
automatic rebooting.  2,500 Set Font commands just are not enough! 
Eventually, I'll do it in C or E, but for now, AMOS will be quite
sufficient (or at least *should* be sufficient).

Ideas, anyone?

Sincerely,

John F. Rodgers
[email-masked]